Thursday, December 8, 2011

Stupid Simple Deadlift Cycle

So, when I was bringing my deadlift from 405 to 495, this was the basic pattern I used- minus a rest week for the first two times through, and I tested my new max and then did the week 1 two days later. 90 lbs on your deadlift in ~10 weeks ain't bad. This works well for squats as well.

(% of 1 rm x sets x reps)
Week 1:
75% x3 x3
85% x3 x1
60% x4-6 x2

Week 2:
80% x3 x3
90% x3 x1
60% x4-6 x2

Week 3:
85% x5 x2
95% x3 x1
60% x4-6 x2

Week 4:
Retest Max ( at least 48 hours away from last deadlift day and before the next deadlift day)

Week 5:
Lighter work/ deload

Mental toughness post is being worked on. I jumbled some of the things I wanted to say and points I wanted to make, so I'm revamping it all. Hope this holds you over.

4 comments:

  1. How often would you follow the deadlift schedule per week?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just once. If you wanted to add in a second day of lighter/higher rep deadlifts you could, but I'd recommend an extra day of squatting instead.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't get it. If we take Week 1 as an example, is this implying that on your deadlift day, you only do the 10-12 sets of deadlifts and nothing else? Are you doing any assistance work to improve your deadlift, or exclusively doing deadlifts?

    I'm about to start a new program and want to focus on improving my deadlift, and came across this blog post.. I'm leaning toward the Coan-Phillipe routine because, like your workout, it's only once a week, but it has lots of various assistance work built into it. Any theory behind your program? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The assistance work is up to you. The simple cycle is just a way of progressing your lift without being excessively taxing.

      It's based on my experience deadlifting with some cues from a few other programs. I like the C/P deadlifting program and fully recommend it to anyone who wants to try it, especially since it has a longer plan and good assistance work built in.

      Delete