Monday, March 4, 2013

Utah APF Meet Report

First, a big thanks to Chris McGill and Jeremy Horn for putting this on. It was a great meet, pretty well run considering the odd flights, and had a good turnout. I wish the day had gone better for me, but I'm pretty happy with how it went. I weighed in at 330 on Friday night, ate some

Video here.

Squats
Warming up for squats I felt pretty good, but remembering last meet's scary situation, I dropped my opener to 585, just for some breathing room. It went up easy, so I made the jump to 625. 625 was pretty easy considering this was my first time without knee wraps. I decided I wanted to go for a big PR and a big milestone- a double bodyweight squat. I asked for 660 and got under it. I knew when I started coming up I hadn't made depth, what surprised me is one judge actually had me at depth, and it wasn't the head judge. Looking back at the video, I'm amazed at how close I actually got compared to where I thought I was. That's definitely an attainable milestone, and soon.

After squatting there was some downtime because there was an entire bench-only or bench and deadlifters flight. Jeremy worked on me a little bit, and I have to admit that 660 squat took more out of me than I was anticipating.

Bench
Warmups went great, and 340 was a breeze, though I thought initially I had jumped the gun on the press command. I made the jump to 380 anticipating a pretty decent 10 lb PR, but both times it stalled out a few inches above my chest. The good thing is it wasn't due to technique, the bad thing is I'm just that weak.

Deadlifts
By the time I was warming up for deadlifts, I was feeling it in my lower back and hamstrings. I dropped my opener to 589 after I pulled an ugly 545 single in warmups. I got my opener, and thank goodness because 617 didn't go very far. I had hoped to pull 633 and actually have it count, but I knew another attempt would just make me more exhausted and possibly lead to an injury, so I waived my third attempt. I totalled less than last meet, but I did set a squat PR, so that was an okay tradeoff.

Today I start with the Cube programming, so I'll keep the blog running on that. Should be some good times. I don't plan to compete again anytime soon, but if I am in Utah in May, I might have to go ahead and compete in the USPA meet. We'll see. I am also cutting down to 308, and we'll see where my strength is there. I will either keep it there, or drop to the 242s (the 275 class is just way too stacked for me to ever be really competitive).

No comments:

Post a Comment