Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Accessory to the Crime 5: I've got all this time on my hands, what should I do?

This past week I happened to have a weirder schedule, since BYU makes Tuesday a Friday on Thanksgiving week. This meant I could go to the gym MTW and then Fri. I didn't go to the BYU gym Friday, but instead went to Gold's. Now, I've been doing the 3 day a week for a while, but I knew I wanted to get in the gym and make the most of an extra day. So here's some ideas:

For Beginners:

I would probably either not do anything, do an hour of cardio, or if you really wanted something to do, I'd do abs, calves, and forearms. These are all things that could probably be trained every day with no problems anyway, so you're not going to screw up your program if you do them. Bodyweight exercises fall into the same category, but you don't need a gym for those. Unless you really want to go to the gym for their pullup bars or something.

For Everyone Else:

This is just an example of something you could do: what I wound up doing was some incline pressing and more. Since pressing is awesome and I don't do it enough, an extra pressing day is just the ticket for me, but I do incline presses a lot. I decided to do fat bar incline presses to make it a little more challenging, and you can see I kept the reps a little higher for the most part. The last set was with 225 and it was 5/4/3/2/1 with minimal rest between sets. Then I did some db flat bench since I hadn't done it in a while and wanted something fun. Then to heavy shrugs (heavier than I can do in the BYU gym because of bar space), and finally some abs, because that's rarely a bad thing to do.

I'd recommend that if you have an extra day and you're more loose with your programming, take advantage of it. Here's a few guidelines:


  • When in doubt, put the bar on your back or overhead. Squatting and pressing are things that you almost certainly don't do often enough.
  • Don't use the same rep scheme you always use. If you're used to working up to a heavy single and then doing back off work, do a 5x5 scheme, or 10x3, or a widowmaker set. 
  • Take advantage of movements you don't do as often. If you tend to leave ab training to squats, deads, and pressing, take some time for some decline crunches, ab wheel, or leg raises. Don't be afraid of machines- they can be awesome for getting a pump.
  • Think about what you suck at and do that. I suck at benching, hence why I chose to do a form of pressing. If you suck at squatting, do some squatting. If you normally back squat, front squat. If you do both, do paused squats.
  • Don't screw up the rest of your training because you got a bonus day. You could possibly do high rep deadlifts followed by good mornings and back raises but I don't think you'd find it to be very beneficial. 
  • Loaded carries are always awesome. Farmers walks will tax you, but they shouldn't impair you. Overhead carries are awesome, as are trap bar carries. 
  • If nothing sounds appealing, go do some hill sprints. Yes, seriously. If you have extra time and you want to do something beneficial, go do some hill sprints. They're great. I don't do them nearly enough, personally. 
  • Alternatively: just don't do anything gym related- there's no rule that you have to go to the gym on a free day. It's a free day- do what you want to do. I happen to be passionate about lifting and so I like going to the gym.
I think my extra day in the gym paid off alright- I hit a PR of 345 lb on the incline press today. I'm excited about returning to flat bench, considering my flat bench has always outpaced my incline press by 50-70 lbs. Granted, I haven't really flat benched in a while, but I'm thinking 405 is within my grasp, and soon. I will hopefully be competing in January and definitely be competing in March of next year, and I hope to have a decent showing at both meets.

No comments:

Post a Comment